Method is a teaching method created by Dr. Maria Montessori, medical doctor and visionary educator, in the
late 1800s and early 1900s.
- The method has been used worldwide for the last
- The method is based on observations of children and
their interests, needs, and characteristics.
- Goals are social, cognitive, and physical
- The aim is to create a peaceful learning community in
which children will thrive and become joyful learners.
- Montessori students are typically self-motivated and
independent learners, as well as critical thinkers.
classroom is a carefully prepared environment.
- Montessori materials are concrete, engaging, and
designed to achieve specific learning objectives.
- Materials are “hands-on” and
follow a natural, stress-free progression.
A Montessori class
is multi-age. The teacher provides mostly individual or small group lessons.
- Children are grouped according to academic skill
level, rather than age.
- During class time, the children
help choose lessons within their skill level and developmental goals.
Areas of a
traditional Montessori classroom include:
- Science/Social Studies,
- Practical Life,
- Sensorial, and